Official Website Of The Governor Of Akwa Ibom State
This leading sector of the country's economy is not treated lightly by the state. The objective is to ensure food sufficiency and security as well as diversify from petro-dollar to an agro-based economy. To this end, the Udom Emmanuel administration has achieved the following:
• 11,000 Hectare Coconut Plantation and Refinery Project
• Re-introduction of second planting season for enhanced food production and sufficiency.
• Refurbishment and upgrading of three 10mt/day cassava processing factories in the 3 Senatorial Districts
• Cultivation of 1450 hectares of seed multiplication cassava farm in the Senatorial Districts to provide free stems to farmers.
• Distribution of improved oil palm and cocoa seedlings to farmers in the state.
• Extension of technical advisory services to about 350 sh farms in the State, as well as the cultivation of 300 hectares of cassava under the FADAMA III+ Financing Programme.
• Establishment of Special Cocoa Maintenance Scheme (SCMS) for the training of farmers and youths on pruning/shade management, under brushing, and tree care by fumigation, to ensure improvement of yields from 300
kilogram/hectare to 2000kg/ha over 3 years period.
• Zoning and mapping of the cocoa-producing communities in the State, and sensitization of cocoa farmers in the 24 cocoa producing local government areas in the State.
• Importation of 1000 bags of special cocoa fertilizer from Ghana for optimal yield.
• Delivery of 1000 bags of special cocoa fertilizers in September 2016.
• Signing of Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) with Sand Carlos of Mexico to develop 1000 hectares of cocoa farms and cocoa nursery in the State.